COMPOSITION MASKS

I miss paper.

I miss seeing my students' beautiful handwriting.

I miss the excitement of seeing their process of scratch outs, arrows, doodles, cartoons, and other Penny Kittle moves that fill composition notebooks.  

Yes, I still kick it olde skool in Creative Writing and supply my students with the old fashioned composition notebooks from the days of yore.  Not the wire spiral notebooks; I spare them the skin slices and scratches caused by the unfurled coils of old notebooks that snagged my sweaters and bloodied my knees.  But oh the satisfaction that came when all pages were filled.  The sense of accomplishment instilled a pride that I still feel today when I find old notebooks from high school and college.  I'll brag to my husband, "Look at how many notes I took in HIST 220, World History from 1500- Present!" waving a red, flattened, 80 page Mead at him, the shiny cover now faded and smooth, a matte retro finish that would probably be a cool laptop cover.

He appreciates my excitement.  He'll bestow an "I'm very proud of ya," on me.

Which is why I had to purchase two of the same masks for hybrid teaching: a composition mask.

It's like this crafty, light-hearted website knows me.  I love this mask.


 Even if it is college ruled.


Comments

Ramona said…
Oh, I hate college ruled! But I love the bright yellow cover of your composition notebook. I've been busy filling up partial compositition books since I can't bear to have them incomplete. I also love your reference to the unfurled coils of spiral notebooks. It didn't take long for me to require composition books. So much easier to handle and transport. Love your mask!
Fran said…
I loved reading the notebook love! All the details- the worn cover, the perils of the wire spiral... I have a teacher friend who still makes a big deal of reader's notebooks even while virtual. The mask reveal at the end- very funny and wonderful!
Joanne said…
I still us these notebooks. One for my personal journal and one for my garden journal. When teaching elementary I also used them with my class for their journals. I agree - nothing like seeing a full journal! I don't see it as old school. Just one way of writing. Enjoy your notebooks! I love the masks - and agree with Ramona - I hate college rule - always have!
Anonymous said…
What a fun post! I love notebooks and pens! When I taught a writer's circle group for third graders, I supplied them all with a folder, a composition notebook (the old kind like yours), and a special pencil. It was only six students each year who got to be part of my group, so I did it up big! LOL. Anyway, I love that you are filling notebooks the old fashioned way! And, your mask is extremely cute! I've made about 500 masks during COVID and donated most of them. I'll have to look for some of that composition fabric! It would be a hit with other teachers I know!
I am the anonymous poster...sorry! I clicked through too fast.

Popular Posts