SEEING RED EVERWHERE

Today I watch facebook turn red as friends and family change their profile pictures to I SUPPORT CHICAGO TEACHERS.  Pictures of educators stand in solidarity with each other, hoisting LIGHTFOOT BETTER GET ON THE RIGHT FOOT and ON STRIKE FOR BETTER SCHOOLS signs, zippered up in fall jackets, their domes covered snugly in red pom-pom hats.

ON STRIKE FOR MY STUDENTS was my favorite.

Juxtapose this against my drive to school today.  For the first time in my lifetime, I chose to hit the AM/FM button.  Usually, I flick it after my husband has been driving.  Flick it back to FM, that it is. Today was different.  Instead of listening to Lynn Bremer or Jerry Garcia this morning, I chose to find an update on the Chicago Teacher's Union strike by hitting the AM button.  I have at least a dozen family and friends who are CPS teachers, a South Side stereotype people love to mock.  I spent a few college summers selling tickets at the Taste of Chicago.  Customers (often in their cups) liked to chat me up.  One guy snarked, "You're from the South Side?  What, are you a teacher or a nurse?"

I'll take that stereotype.  In fact, I'll embrace it.  The two hardest working professions, dominated by women, that require emotional intelligence, multitasking, and have the most profound impact on people's lives and the future?  Thanks!

This memory popped in my mind as I listened to an AM broadcaster rail on Chicago teachers.  "What I wanna know is if the teachers are gettin paid while they strike!  I bet ya they are!  And what is their beef?  Money?  For what?  You want more money?  Then prepare these kids for college!  I didn't learn nothin in school.  My senior year . . . what?  Did we have to take two classes and be on campus for two hours?  While the teachers sat around waiting for their paychecks? I went to a state school and I wasn't prepared for anything!"

Now I am parked.  Not only did I wake up late today, but I have a ton to prep for the day.

Prep.  Yes.  Prep.

This guy continues, "They want more staff for their students and more prep time.  Yeah, that's right, they wanna get PAID to PREP!" (See.  He did learn somethin.  Alliteration!)

A man calls in to inform us that his wife is a CPS teacher, and, no, the teachers are not getting paid to strike.  "Thanks for callin in, buddy.  I'm sure your wife is one of the good ones.  There are good ones out there."

I could spend the rest of my post proving this guy wrong.  But what's the use?  He is clearly proud of his ignorance.  I can hope that teachers won't continue to be blamed for society's failures for decades to come. But I would be lying if I didn't admit, that deep down inside, I want our critics to do one thing: spend one day in our shoes.

Even half a day. 

So instead of my 137 students that I educate every day, they'd only have 68 students. 

Then they can give us all the answers.






Comments

Tristy said…
Am I the only one who wants to know what radio station you were listening to so I can avoid it?!??
Nancy said…
You nailed this one Jen...good job!

Popular Posts