QUALITY = DIGNITY

Quality = Dignity.

This equation, posted on the wall at Cradles to Crayons, has stuck with me since my field trip with Creative Writing on Thursday.  It can be applied to every part of our lives.  Cradles to Crayons provides children living in poverty with the essentials they need to thrive, from diapers and clothing to toys and books.  And they believe in providing them with quality provisions so they feel, well, for a lack of a better phrase, worth it.

After reading The Glass Castle with my senior creative writers we volunteered our time to sort through all the donations at the Chicago branch of Cradles to Crayons.  We also donated brand new underwear and pajamas and gently used toys and books.  Some of my friends donated as well, not to my surprise. What a pick me up it is to come home to a huge Kohl's bag wedged in your door stuffed with brand new toddler pajamas, or to a huge Fed Ex box layered with Old Navy underwear and pajamas for kids.  

When we reflected on our day, my students shared similar reactions: they enjoyed themselves and wish we could have stayed longer and accomplished more. And they could not believe how many donations did not pass the acceptable "test."

I worked with the group assigned to books.  My group's reactions were similar.  Why couldn't we include a book simply because it had a tiny tear?  They couldn't believe how many books were excluded because there was name written on the inside.

These are valid reflections!  I learned that my students value books.  They value philanthropy.  They value the work to which we committed ourselves.

The woman instructing us shared the guidelines for age sorting, subject sorting, and quality sorting.  She emphasized that we want to give books to children that make them feel worthy.  Books with writing and torn pages send a message. I had to think about how I would feel receiving a damaged book.  "I guess I only deserve this discarded, ripped book."

Quality = Dignity.

What a lesson.

We enjoyed many laughs as we worked as well. "I remember this book!  Mrs. Jepsen, did you read Lily's Purple Plastic Purse?  I loved this book!"

Our final step was to bundle five books together for donation.  Perhaps my favorite line of the day was when one of my students, a darling, tough football player, said, "Whoever gets this bundle is gettin HOOKED UP!"

Field trips will always be the best way to get to know your students.  "All About Me" worksheets and "Five Words that Describe Me" are all fine and dandy.  But if you really want to know what your students value, who they are, and how damn funny they can be, hook them up with a field trip.  They like field trips
for more reasons that just a day out of school.  You'll see their quality and dignity of character.


Comments

Popular Posts